HW audio grabbing
In order to record audio in VBS2, the sound card's loopback option has to be enabled.
By default this option is hidden and disabled.
To activate it, follow the steps below (example from Windows 7):
- Make sure that the sound card drivers are up-to-date.
- Open the Control Panel, and select Hardware and Sound | Sound
- Open the "Recording" tab (it initially contains no loopback device).
- Press the right mouse button on a free space, select "Show Disabled Devices".
- A loopback device should now be visible
- Its name depends on the soundcard manufacturers, and could be:
- Mixed Output
- Stereo Mix
- Waveout Mix
- What You Hear
- Enable the respective loopback device, and set it as a default one. (The default state is either necessary or helpful, depending on the hardware.)
If no loopback device is available, either the sound card drivers are outdated, or the hardware does not support this feature. In this case the headphone output can be connected directly to the microphone input via an appropriate cable (to simulate a loopback device), but most likely the achieved quality will be fairly low.